No matter what workout you are doing, you want to get the maximum benefits. What shoes you wear can have an effect on your training. Supportive cushioned running shoes can cause our feet to weaken from lack of muscle activation. They can also put our bodies in an unnatural position which can lead to injuries.
Many weightlifters prefer to train in bare feet. However, most gyms require you to wear footwear. If you like training barefoot, the next best option is to wear barefoot shoes. You will get the same benefits but also provide protection to your feet from any nasty fungus or germs that may be lurking on the floor.
Leguanos are superior barefoot shoes that are handmade in Germany. Here are some reasons you may want to wear these barefoot shoes while weight training.
1. Wearing barefoot shoes gives you better proprioception between the ground and your feet, providing feedback that allows you to perfect your technique. When you wear an overly protective shoe you lose the energy that is transferred from your feet on up through your body. In a barefoot shoe, you will feel more energy and potentially be able to lift more.
2. A traditional running shoe usually has a thicker sole, making you less stable. Leguano barefoot shoes have a thin flexible sole with a zero drop (heels and toes are on same level to ground) that allows you to have better balance. A wide toe box allows you to spread your toes which also makes you more stable. When your base is more stable, you will feel stronger throughout the body.
3. Wearing barefoot shoes help strengthen the feet. All the tiny ligaments and muscles in the feet that haven’t been used as a result of wearing a traditional running shoe will be activated.
4. You body is in a more natural alignment when wearing barefoot shoes compared to a traditional shoe. This will give you better posture which will lead to better form when lifting and possibly reduce injuries.
5. A traditional shoe can be heavy and give you the feeling of being weighed down. Leguano barefoot shoes are extremely lightweight. This sensation can give you a feeling of freedom and improved energy.
6. Leguano barefoot shoes have a nubby, non-slip sole which can prevent you from slipping.
7. Leguano barefoot shoes have an expandable stretchy woven upper that is breathable and moisture wicking. The material is also antibacterial meaning your feet will be fresher for longer.
8. Carrying traditional running shoes in your gym bag can be heavy and cumbersome. Leguano barefoot shoes roll up in to a ball and take up very little space.
9. Leguano barefoot shoes come in many different styles and colors to suit your preference; slip on or lace up, neutral color or bright.
If you are used to wearing a protective shoe during training, it is suggested you transition slowly into a barefoot shoe. You will need to gradually adjust as your feet strengthen. However, if you are used to training in bare feet, jump right into your Leguanos and start lifting!